[IronPython] Please, help to get started with .Net and IronPython.

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Apr 25 20:37:10 CEST 2009

Richard Hinerfeld wrote:
> To extend IronPython 1.1 You need the source for IronPython and
> Visual studio 5. To extend the new Version of IronPython you need a
> new version of

You mean Visual Studio 2005 I assume, however Visual Studio 2008 will
also work and you don't *need* the sources to IronPython to embed or
extend IronPython.

> Visual studio. Also you can extend IronPython with C# which comes with
> the Visual studio environment. You can all this information from the
> IronPython Web site.
> Please note:
> You need to make sure that you are using WindowsXP with the latest
> service pack
> and all the .NET upgrades.

Or windows Vista, or server 2008, or any of the platforms that Mono runs on.

> The requirements are listed in the IronPython documentation.
> A good test for the correct development environment for building a
> given version of IronPython is to build a version of IronPython.
> Please also note ;
> If you are using a IronPython socket script to talk to a non-windows
> you will have a
> problem. IronPython uses the "Char" type to talk and receive
> information. In C# a Char is defined as 16-bits not 8. You need to use
> 'byte' type or modify the IronPython socket.cs file to fix this problem.

Really? Can you file a bug report on Codeplex that demonstrates the problem?

On the other hand use the .NET bytes type with IronPython is fine.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog