[IronPython] pywin32 on Iron Python?

William Reade william at resolversystems.com
Wed Apr 29 13:30:31 CEST 2009

Dave Fugate wrote:
> That said, there is something extremely useful the community can do for IronPython that our team simply cannot:  get 3rd party Python applications such as Django, pywin32, NumPy, etc running under IronPython.  This could mean adapting something like adodbapi.py to utilize IronPython APIs similar to what Vernon Cole did, or re-implementing NumPy's C-based modules in C#.
NumPy works pretty well already (under ironclad*). I suspect that in
circumstances where managedness is so important that the CPython numpy
can't be used, one would be better off using a preexisting .NET library
than trying to rewrite parts of NumPy.

Also, I just performed a quick test on pywin32 under ironclad and, once
I added the 'pythonwin', 'win32', and 'win32\lib' folders from
site-packages to sys.path, was able to call win32api.GetComputerName
without problems. Not all of it will work, but see the numpy-related
footnote below.

Cheers
william

* and if it doesn't do what you need, or if what you need is too slow,
please let me know and I'll do my best to fix it :-)