[IronPython] pywin32 on Iron Python?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:33:50 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Dave Fugate <dfugate at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> That said, there is something extremely useful the community can do for IronPython that our team simply cannot:  get 3rd party Python applications such as Django, pywin32, NumPy, etc running under IronPython.  This could mean adapting something like adodbapi.py to utilize IronPython APIs similar to what Vernon Cole did, or re-implementing NumPy's C-based modules in C#.  While it's quite difficult (impossible?) for anyone on our team to submit changes supporting IronPython back to other OSS projects, the rest of the IronPython Community happily doesn't have this limitation.

Dave:
My condolences on having to put up with the lawyers.  I have to sleep
with one, but at least she doesn't tell me who I can contribute code
to.  ;-)
 -- VC

> The problem with this approach is that I don't really want to clutter
> up e.g. Django with workarounds for IP bugs that are actually
> incompatibilities with CPython - they should and will get fixed in IP
> at some point. If it's a legitimate platform difference, or an invalid
> assumption by Django, then it can be fixed there - but I've found very
> few of those relative to bugs in IP itself.

That's true. There is still one outstanding bug in adodbapi on iron
which I hope will eventually be fixed in IPy. (see Work Item # 18222
-- August 2008) The workaround was just too large to use and would
still have left the IPy COM implementation with a bug. When the COM
bug gets fixed that last test failure will go away.  There are other
places where "if IronPython:" made sense and was used. (I also
included simple workarounds for bugs like #18223.)
-- VC

> Also, would it possible for you guys to revisit your commit messages?
> I would at least like to see a note in the CP commit messages when a
> particular CP issue has been fixed.

+ 1. Maybe my bug has already been fixed and I don't know.
-- VC

>> If anyone wants to contribute in this manner, please just give us a heads up so we can obtain permission to add tests for the 3rd party app(s) to our checkin system.  Also, if there's enough interest in this I can setup a wiki page on CodePlex to keep track of whose working on what...

+1 on the wiki page.

> Now this is interesting! Last time I checked, Django's test suite was
> nowhere near passing - would the full test suite have to pass before
> you'd include it?

In other words, how good do we have to get?

> I really appreciate the work you guys are doing here. It can't be easy
> swimming against the tide all the time!
>
> - Jeff
Amen!
-- VC