[IronPython] Expression printing in interactive mode

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 29 20:13:12 CEST 2009

There was some internal work going on w/ running a remote console
and it looks like this change was related to that.  In
Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.Shell there's a comment added to its
RunOneInteraction w/ the same change:

        /// We check if the code read is an interactive command or statements is by checking for NewLine
        /// If the code contains NewLine, it's a set of statements (most probably from SendToConsole)
        /// If the code does not contain a NewLine, it's an interactive command typed by the user at the prompt

Looking at the code thought I'm guessing this is totally broken on
Unix because in ReadStatement we append a newline, with a
wonderful comment there:

                // Note that this does not use Environment.NewLine because some languages (eg. Python) only
                // recognize \n as a line terminator.
                b.Append("\n");

So this just happens to do the right thing on Windows due to the
mismatches between the new lines being used.

I guess we should actually be checking for more than one "\n".