[IronPython] Platform comparison

Dody Gunawinata empirebuilder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:47:55 CEST 2009

For grammar engine, language development process, etc, there are a bunch of
efforts notably the M language, albeit far more ambitious than just a
language toolkit.

Both are providing facilities for interoperability between dynamic languages
(e.g. calling Python libraries from Perl)

Both are targeted as platform for dynamic language implementations.

Parrot VM has Perl6, a swiss army of a language that supports multitudes of
programming styles, etc. The closest in .Net stack is C# 4.0. Btw, does C#
4.0 dynamic qualify the language as a DLR language? I mean it is possible to
go dynamic crazy just with that keyword in C#.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Jimmy Schementi <
Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com> wrote:

> ParrotVM has a Python implementation … though it’s not a full
> implementation today (http://pirate.tangentcode.com/). Parrot seems to
> have a ton of language implementations build using it, but very few are
> complete implementations (with the exception of Perl); they are just tests
> of Parrot as a compiler infrastructure. The DLR has two fairly-complete
> language implementations (IronRuby and IronPython), along with some other
> test languages, that may or may not be available against the latest source
> code (JavaScript and Visual Basic existed against an older version, Scheme
> and Lisp are among the available ones today).
>

> However, regardless of whether similar languages are implemented on those
> frameworks, you can still make comparisons between the DLR and Parrot as
> dynamic language compiler tools.
>

> At a very high level, Parrot provides tools for the whole language
> development process, from a grammar engine, compiler tools, and a VM to run
> the generated code on. The DLR provides a way to get from a syntax tree to
> CLI code; it does not provide (or lock you into using) a specific parser to
> map your language to DLR syntax trees, and it uses any CLI-compatible VM to
> run on (CLR or Mono). The DLR also provides mechanisms to cache dynamic
> method calls, and make your language interoperate with existing CLI code.
>

> For further reading:
>
> Parrot Docs: http://docs.parrot.org/parrot/latest/html/
>
> DLR Docs: http://dlr.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Docs%20and%20specs
>

> ~Jimmy