[IronPython] [ANN]: IronPython 2.6 Beta 2

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:20:47 CEST 2009

Sorry to be slow getting back... I'm on vacation.
In attempting to make a test case as you have requested, I suddenly run in
to the following problem:

<console dump>
C:\temp>ipy ipy_bug.py

C:\temp>"c:\program files\Ironpython 2.0.2\ipy.exe" ipy_bug.py
version= adodbapi v2.2.7a1
Executing the command: "select * from Products"
result rowcount shows as= 6. (Note: -1 means "not known")

result data description is:
            NAME TypeCd DispSize IntrnlSz Prec Scale Null?
      ItemNumber      3        4        4   10   255     1
        ItemName    202       12       50  255   255     1
     UnitsOnHand      4        4        4    7   255     1
     CostPerUnit    131       19       19   14     4     1
     LastOrdered      7        8        8  255   255     1

result first ten records are:
(1, 'Widgit', 5.0, Decimal("15.1234"), datetime.datetime(2009, 1, 29, 13, 5,
30)
)
(2, 'Thingamajig, Standard', 505.0, Decimal("0.1000"),
datetime.datetime(2009, 1
, 29, 15, 5, 19))
(3, 'Left Handed Smoke Shifter', 1.0, Decimal("1000000.0000"),
datetime.datetime
(2008, 4, 1, 12, 0))
(4, 'Gravel (Bulk)', 100.25, Decimal("32.4567"), datetime.datetime(2009, 1,
29,
13, 5, 31))
(5, 'Tube, Drinking, Plastic, For cold liquids', 500000.0,
Decimal("0.0013"), da
tetime.datetime(2009, 1, 29, 13, 5, 32))
(6, 'Annoy-A-Tron', 1.0, Decimal("12.9500"), datetime.datetime(2009, 1, 29,
13,
5, 33))

C:\temp>ipy26 ipy_bug.py

C:\temp>"c:\program files\Ironpython 2.6\ipy.exe" ipy_bug.py
version= adodbapi v2.2.7a1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ipy_bug.py", line 52, in ipy_bug.py
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'adodbapi'
</console dump>

The offending line is:
adodbapi.adodbapi.defaultIsolationLevel = adodbapi.adXactBrowse

I never have understood why it was necessary to use the
adodbapi.adodbapi.(whatever) construct, but smarter people than me said that
was necessary, and they are correct.  If the redundant-looking entry is not
used, the programs runs without an error message, but does not actually
perform the intended function. If, for example, the line
adodbapi.adodbapi.defaultCursorLocation = adodbapi.adUseClient
is changed to
adodbapi.defaultCursorLocation = adodbapi.adUseClient
then the program will run, but the rowcount will return as -1, rather than
6, because the cursor is not actually changed to a local cursor.

So, to make a long story short: some change in IPy 2.6 has broken a needed
(if ugly looking) feature in adodbapi.
I will file a bug in codeplex as soon as I can isolate a good example.
--
Vernon