[IronPython] Answer from ReportLab about unicode chars

Marco Parenzan marco.parenzan at libero.it
Thu Aug 20 12:00:06 CEST 2009

I have posted my question about unicode chars also to reportlab.

I have some answers. Any comment?

                Marco [dot] Parenzan [at] libero [dot] it

------------------------------

Message: 4

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:10:49 +0100

From: Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com>

Subject: Re: [reportlab-users] IronPython and ReportLab

To: Support list for users of Reportlab software

      <reportlab-users at reportlab.com>

Marco,

in CPython reportlab we expect all strings to be either bytes in utf8
encoding

or unicode. I suspect that the default string encoding in ironpython is

something other than that so a lot of reportlab string handling may be
broken.

Does ironpython support unicode directly ie u'Hello World'?

I would not expect reportlab to work out of the box with ironpython. PDF
doesn't

use unicode (normally) and most of the output is in Adobe specific
encodings.

I don't think the real problem lies in our use of strange bytes (although
that

may not help). If the string in question is the special sequence we use at
the

beginning of the document then the issue is deeper since that string doesn't

normally require any special manipulation (ie we expect it to appear
literally

in the output as a sequence of bytes). If we are unable to write bytes
directly

to a file then many other problems will also need to be found and fixed.

This problem also arises in Python 3.x so may eventually be solved for you.

As to why reportlab takes so long to execute I cannot say.

--

Robin Becker

Message: 5