[IronPython] Memory leaks in Ipy 2.6

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 28 20:46:55 CET 2009

This is definitely a bug - we're leaking our stack frames on the CLR's finalizer thread when we swallow exceptions while closing the generator.  I think this is the correct fix but I haven't fully tested it yet, in our generator we have the code below but it's missing the assignment of null to DynamicStackFrames:

            try {
                @throw(new GeneratorExitException());

                // Generator should not have exited normally.
                throw new RuntimeException("generator ignored GeneratorExit");
            } catch (StopIterationException) {
                // Ignore
                ExceptionHelpers.DynamicStackFrames = null;  // adding this fixes it
            } catch (GeneratorExitException) {
                // Ignore
                ExceptionHelpers.DynamicStackFrames = null; // adding this fixes it
            }

This definitely fixes 1 and 2.  After running this 3 doesn't actually seem to leak memory when running repeatedly for me but after-before > 10 is True.  I'll take a closer look and make sure this is the correct fix after the new year when I'm back in the office.