[IronPython] Question about dictionaries in general

Dan Eloff dan.eloff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:55:45 CET 2009

Hi,

This is not an IronPython question really, but I notice the dictionary
architecture used by IronPython allows lock free read access. With
hashtables being so important to dynamic languages this has always
been a subject of interest to me. Did you do any comparisons with the
System.Collections.Generic dictionary? There seems to be three basic
strategies for making a thread-safe dictionary, dictionary with simple
locking on reads & writes, reader-writer lock, and lock free reads. I
would expect that the latter approach performs best, but it can depend
on the ratio of reads to writes and how much contention there is. I'd
be most interested to hear about the experiences of the IronPython
developers on this subject.

Thanks,
-Dan