[IronPython] Logging module

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 17 19:18:54 CET 2009

OK, looking closer, the try-except is in _log which is guarded by "if" checks. So if logging is disabled, the try-except is not even executed, which is great.

If logging is enabled, I assume the logging stream is cached, and so it will result in disk IO only when flushed, which could be relatively rare. Also, if the logging module supports things like flushing on a background thread, using a fixed-size in-memory cache for crash analysis, etc, flushing may never happen on the main thread. So there may still be a perf concern. However, since I am speculating at this point, I will revert to saying that the simpler solution should be tried first (which you have), and worry about perf only when there is specific data.

Thanks,
Shri