[IronPython] Frames in IronPython

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jan 1 15:35:55 CET 2009

Jeff Hardy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Curt Hagenlocher <curt at hagenlocher.org> wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, the biggest problem with getframe has always been
>> its performance implications.  Would you want all IronPython code to
>> be slowed down so that this feature is supported?  What if you needed
>> to opt-in on the command-line with a -X:getframe?
>>

> It depends on how big the speed hit is and how much work it is to mark
> frames support optional. If the speed hit is only 10%, then I don't
> think it's worth the effort to make it optional unless it's trivial to
> make it so. If it's 50% then it should definitely be optional. I can
> deal with it being optional, if that's the case.

Well, I wouldn't be happy with a 10% slowdown. :-)

I tend to agree with Seo, use of Python stack frames indicates a poorly
designed API.

On the other hand I understand the problem, so at least optional support
would be nice.

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog