[IronPython] IronPython to JavaScript

xkrja kristian.jaksch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:43:10 CET 2009

I'm trying to call javascript from IronPython (via Silverlight 2) but I can'
get it to work properly. I looked at this example:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/silverlight/scriptable.shtml#id10
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/silverlight/scriptable.shtml#id10

It's explained very clearly but when I try to run my code I get a System
Error:

SystemError: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I just inserted the lines of code found on the example page in my IronPyton
code:

event = ScriptableEvent()

# This must also be registered
HtmlPage.RegisterScriptableObject("event", event)

args = ScriptableEventArgs()
args.val = 'some string'
event.OnEvent(args) #This gives me a System Error

I create a C# .dll as explained in the example and add a reference to it.
The source is below:

using System;
using System.Windows.Browser;

namespace Scriptable
{

    [ScriptableTypeAttribute]
    public class ScriptableForString
    {
        [ScriptableMemberAttribute]
        public string method(string value)
        { return this._method(value); }

        public virtual string _method(string value)
        { return "override me"; }
    }

    [ScriptableType]
    public class ScriptableEvent
    {
        [ScriptableMember]
        public event EventHandler Event;

        public virtual void OnEvent(ScriptableEventArgs e)
        {
            Event(this, e);
        }
    }

    [ScriptableTypeAttribute]
    public class ScriptableEventArgs : EventArgs
    {
        private string _val;

        [ScriptableMemberAttribute]
        public string val
        {
            get { return _val; }
            set { _val = value; }
        }
    }
}

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!