[IronPython] slow import time

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 27 18:55:29 CET 2009

Precompilation (see the pyc.py sample) + ngen is the best story here right now.  The time is mostly spent compiling IL to native code.  We're also working on fixing that on our side (which hopefully will make it into 2.6, but it's available in the source drops today under the -X:AdaptiveCompilation command line option).  Other big costs include reflection (we do a lot of it) and creating new base types for subclasses of .NET types - both of which we also hope to try and address for the next release.