[IronPython] Problem with Creating Executable using SharpDevelop

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 03:28:33 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Michael
Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Are there issues around assembly versions and the GAC? I'm thinking
> particularly of where newer versions of IronPython are released as drop-in
> replacements so the version numbers are not updated. If a previous version
> is in the GAC isn't there a likelihood that an application that ships with a
> newer version will still load the GAC'd older version... ?
>
> My *impression* was that adding stuff to the GAC was a recipe for DLL hell
> and therefore it was better left to individual users rather than being
> automatic on installation. This opinion may be ill-informed however...

You just have to be *really* careful with you assembly versions, and
what kinds of changes cause a rev of version numbers. However, I don't
think it should be the default, but it would be nice to have the
option during installation. I think gacutil is only included in the
SDK anyway.

- Jeff