[IronPython] Announcing IronPython 2.0.2

David DiCato ddicato at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 22 05:11:02 CEST 2009

Hello Python Community,

I am delighted to announce the release of IronPython 2.0.2. This release is a minor update to IronPython 2.0.1, which in turn is a CPython 2.5-compatible release running on the .NET platform. Our priority was to make IronPython 2.0.2 a bugfix release that remains backwards-compatible with IronPython 2.0.1. In particular, we focused on issues the IronPython community brought to our attention through http://www.codeplex.com/. As such, there have been important improvements on the compatibility and stability of IronPython as summarized below.

You can download IronPython 2.0.2 at: http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22981

Silverlight users: A new version of Silverlight, specifically Silverlight 3, is required to build the "Silverlight Release" or "Silverlight Debug" configurations of IronPython.sln. Please update Silverlight accordingly if you intend to do so.

Detailed change summary:

Fixed specifically for 2.0.2:

*         21577 - binascii.crc32 doesn't accept one argument.

*         20616 - wrong TypeError message when invoking "str.join": implicit parameter 'self' not counted

*         19665 - 2.0.2: operator.isSequenceType(NewStyleClass) broken

*         20087 - 2.0.2: Null Value Exception in COM interop

*         21445 - DLR:  There is a dead loop in CallSite.UpdateAndExecute(), which leads to IronPython 2.0.1 hang.

*         22001 - 2.0.2:  Ngen IronPython.msi option doesn't work on 64-bit platforms?

*         22094 - 2.0.2: StringException leaked to Python via sys.exc_info()

*         22239 - 2.0.2: modules aren't isolated

Backported 2.6 fixes:

*         20634 - hex_codec needs to be imported before hex decode can happen

*         20302 - codecs.lookup errors with uppercase encoding names

*         20051 - Re-raising exception causes loss of traceback

*         4565 - Support all encodings CPython does for _codecs.encode and  _codecs.decode

*         20603 - os.walk('') doesn't work

*         21929 - os.listdir does not accept empty path

*         17235 - dir(System.ArgIterator) broken

I would especially like to thank adamilan, dungen, fuzzyman, hfoffani, hhonisch, kuno, orestis, sanxiyn, and tkamiya for raising these issues. By taking the time to share their insights, these CodePlex users have brought about tangible improvements in the quality of IronPython. Keep those bug reports coming!

- The IronPython Team