[IronPython] Documentation

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jun 26 21:49:45 CEST 2009

Echavarria Gregory, Maria Angelica wrote:
>> For a Windows Forms designer I use Visual Studio (Express) and compile
>> the generated GUI into a class library which I import from IronPython.
>> This technique, along with building Windows Forms applications in
>> general is covered in IronPython in Action.
>>

> Thanks Michael and Brian, I will follow all your advice, two more questions would be:
>
> 1.  Do the Python packages that I used to produce my code (Numpy, Scipy, Sympy, pylab, matplotlib, Mayavi2) would load and execute using IronPython as you recommend?  I read in a blog by Michael that libraries of regular Python do not work... please advice this need.

*Most* pure-Python libraries work fine with IronPython. Libraries which
are written in C (or depend on modules written in C) - which
unfortunately includes numpy, Scipy and all the ones you mention - don't
work with IronPython as it doesn't have the Python C API they use.

*However*, there is a project called Ironclad (created by Resolver
Systems) that provides the C API. It doesn't have 100% coverage yet -
but significant proportions of numpy, scipy etc do work.

http://www.resolversystems.com/documentation/index.php/Ironclad.html

> and
>

>> Replace "this" with "self",
>> get rid of any existence of "new", convert any true or false values to True
>> or False, remove the semicolons (not required though), etc. A few
>>
> f> ind-and-replaces turns C# code into working Python code :)
>
> 2).  Not highly important since I can look up in the web (don't think I'm lazy, it's a matter of time) but: if there is on your wiki or maybe in the issues, a complete list of equivalences between C# and Python when coding GUIs... I haven't touched C (turbo C++) in 10 years... to do the replacement Brian talks about.

No one has written a comprehensive conversion chart I don't think - but
it would be an interesting project.

C# is not really very similar to C except superficially.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog