[IronPython] Compiling .py to .dll to use with Silverlight

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 20:45:11 CET 2009

Dino Viehland wrote:
> I'm not aware of any working example of this.  In theory you can do it by
> hand by just taking the resulting DLL that gets compiled on the desktop
> and updating all of the assembly versions to be the Silverlight assembly
> versions.  That can be done by sending it through ildasm/ilasm.  You'd
> need to update all of the IronPython and DLR assemblies as well as
> mscorlib and System all of which have different versions on Silverlight
> vs the desktop CLR.

For the record I tried this and it didn't work for me. The resulting
assembly uses StrongBox (from memory) and possibly other features not
available in CoreCLR.

I would also love to see a solution to this as import time is a big
factor in the startup of IronPython Silverlight apps and pre-compiled
assemblies would help a lot.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/