[IronPython] Default install location and site-packages

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 6 19:05:35 CEST 2009

Dino Viehland wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
>>
>>> In principle, allowing unprivileged users to install code into a
>>> location where it can unknowingly be accessed by privileged users is a
>>> security problem. A "per-user" approach is the right one.
>>>
>> Unknowingly?
>>

> I've just installed some software.  Installing that software required that
> I elevate to admin and left that software in a typically global location
> on my machine (either C:\... or C:\Program Files\...) where my normal user
> account does not have writes to access.
>
> What's the least surprising - that the global location is now suddenly
> writable or that the global location remains writable only be
> administrators?

As a user I probably don't care (and won't even check) whether a
sub-folder in the install location is now writable. What I *do* care
about is whether that software *works* - and an access denied error on
using aspects of that software *will* 'surprise' me, yes. :-)

Another way of phrasing the question - does writability of a sub-folder
in the IronPython install folder *trump* compatibility with CPython
behaviour?

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog