[IronPython] Default install location and site-packages

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 6 19:52:14 CEST 2009

Giles Thomas wrote:
> Dino Viehland wrote:
>> But it seems like CPython is the one who's doing something wrong here.
>>
> Another data point; easy_install under CPython using Vista with UAC
> switched on tries to escalate permissions as you would expect -- the
> normal grey screen, "please enter an administrator's details" thing --
> and then happily installs the egg under C:\PythonXX\lib\site-packages,
> owned by Administrator, with no read permissions for anyone else.  So
> you then have to go and find it and manually change the permissions if
> you want to use it.
>
> Somewhat orthogonal, but it does make it sound rather like the setup
> with CPython is accidental rather than by deliberate choice.

I doubt it can be accidental - I think the changed permissions would
have to be done deliberately in the installer?

Historically Windows has made much less of a distinction between user
and system installed programs. On the Mac I need to sudo to install into
my *system* site-packages but not into the site-packages of a user
installed version of Python.

I still see it as a question of usability rather than security. (I'm
honestly not sure how creating a writable directory is a security
issue?) If the default install location of IronPython makes installing
and using Python packages with IronPython impossible for non-elevated
users then that is an extreme misfeature.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog