[IronPython] Wildcard conf on IIS6

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 22:20:38 CEST 2009

Hi Markus,
I finally got around to looking at this, and it looks like I missed a
step in my documentation (such as it is...). If you check out
http://jdhardy.blogspot.com/2009/07/nwsgi-20-removing-url-warts.html
it gives all of the details (under the heading "Wildcards"), but I'll
explain it here too.

First up, you need to configure IIS 6 to serve wildcard requests for
the application to the aspnet_isapi.dll. This is explained at
http://professionalaspnet.com/archive/2007/07/27/Configure-IIS-for-Wildcard-Extensions-in-ASP.NET.aspx.

Next, you need to modify the web.config file for the application to do
two things: first, add the <wildcard> element under <wsgi> to tell
NWSGI that it's in wildcard mode, AND (this is the part I missed)
change the handler mapping to be path="*" instead of path="*.wsgi".
I've attached a web.config for the HelloWorld app that properly
configures NWSGI for wildcard mode.

I'm hoping to get a script written that will configure IIS 6 for NWSGI
apps and skip the manual steps, but that means diving into the joy
that is IIS 6's management API...

- Jeff