[IronPython] Database Engine for Django on IronPython

Markus Törnqvist mjt at nysv.org
Sun Oct 25 16:09:50 CET 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 05:05:30AM -0700, Vernon Cole wrote:

>I have been thinking About this in re STORM too. Perhaps the best way
>would be like:
>
>Try:
>    Import prefferedDb as db
>    Db.version = 'native'
>Except:
>    Import adodbapi as db
># then later if needed
>If db.version = 'native':
>  # do usual thing
>Else:
>   # do ado thing
>So all of the database specific stuff remains in that module, which
>will then use ado if the preffered ifc is not available.

If I get you right, this is a good first step!

Then the next issue would be how to communicate with the db.

I think my solution would be to implement ADO engines one by one kinda
like I laid out in the other email, that a setting would stand for eg
MSSQL.

I also think there's a reason why django-mssql took to the regexps; it
kinda loses out on the ADO methods, but it's the path of least resistance
to code. And we can probably borrow code from them here! ;)

What do you think?

--
mjt