[IronPython] Gestalt, IronPython in Silverlight and embedded xaml

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Apr 1 01:34:10 CEST 2010

On 31/03/2010 03:06, Jimmy Schementi wrote:
>> I still need to package my app into a zip file and serve it locally (doesn't work from the filesystem)
>>
> Michael, what do you exactly mean by this? You need your app to run out of browser?

I mean that if I develop in an html file I can't view it from the
filesystem in a browser but must still have a locally running server for
the scripts to run.

>> It doesn't seem to me that embedded xaml is working
>>
> First of all, docs/spec issue: the current online bits only support application/xml+xaml, and the docs have application/xaml+xml.

oferchrisakes. Yes, switching solved the problem.

This leads into an interesting point - the docs show the following as
the public url to use for dlr.js:

http://gestalt.ironpython.net/dlr-latest.js

This means any backwards incompatible changes are *guaranteed* to break
apps using it. :-) What are needed are versioned URLs so that you can
specify precisely which version to use. Are these available, I couldn't
find them in the docs but I may just not be looking in the right place.

> The release that will be online in a few days supports both. After correcting that you will get a SL control created on the page; here's the exact HTML (with a Text attribute added to the TextBlock to make it obvious that it worked):

>    <head>
>      <script type="text/javascript" src="http://gestalt.ironpython.net/dlr-latest.js"></script>
>    </head>
>      <script type="application/xml+xaml" id="inlineXAML" width="200" height="75">
>        <Canvas>  <TextBlock Canvas.Left="20" FontSize="24" Text="hi" />  </Canvas>
>      </script>
>
> Then, if you add the following Python script-tag after the XAML script tag, it will update the text:
>
>      <script type="text/python" class="inlineXAML">
>        from System.Windows.Application import Current as app
>        app.RootVisual.Children[0].Text += " from python"
>      </script>
>
> Note the *class="inlineXAML"* attribute; if you did not include this, the code would run against a different Silverlight control than the one created by your *id="inlineXAML"* tag. In fact, it would run against a SL control that is essentially hidden, so app.RootVisual would be None. In short, giving a XAML script-tag an ID lets you pick the Python script-tags that will run against it by setting their class attribute to the same value.
>
> I'll update the docs accordingly...

Thanks for your help. I wasn't using the class attribute which would
have caused me problems even if I had been using the right xml type
declaration. I did think that the docs said all un-scoped scripts were
run against the default control, but using an explicit scope is no problem.

Michael