[IronPython] is the performance gap between C and CPython a decent comparision between the performance gap between C# and IronPython?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 18:08:47 CEST 2010

Pablo:
  It depends mostly on how you define "performance" and how important that
is in any given case.  My brother relates the story of a fellow in a lunch
room who was complaining loudly that car manufactures could turn out more
powerful engines if they wanted to.  Brother's friend, a professional
builder of racing engines, replied: "That's right.  I could take the V-8 out
of your station wagon and make it produce 2000 horsepower.  Just remember
that the life expectancy of that engine is 20 miles."
  Most of us are only trying to get from home to the grocery market. We
don't need a 2000 horsepower program, and the lower cost of developing in
Python is well worth any slight difference in perceived responsiveness.  In
a graphical environment, the user probably will not notice any difference in
speed whatsoever.
  If there is a bottleneck in a system, that module can be re-implemented in
C.  One can always write a program that will outperform a product doing some
single defined task.
--
Vernon Cole