[IronPython] License change?

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 19 23:55:10 CEST 2010

Hello IronPython community,

As you probably know IronPython has a long history of releasing our source code under permissive licenses.  Initially IronPython was released under a specific IronPython license which was quite similar to the Microsoft Public License (PS-Pl) we ship under today.  We occasionally hear feedback, questions and a general lack of familiarity from you about the license that we use.  And in several instances, we have been asked why we don't adopt a more popular license, such as the Apache 2.0 License.  We are therefore considering switching our license to a well known permissive license which is more commonly used by open source projects.  Currently we are considering the Apache License, Version 2.0.

We'd like to hear your feedback before we make any decisions.  Do you think adopting a more popular license, such as the Apache License, would be a good change for IronPython?