[IronPython] How to install 3rd part packages into IronPython ?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Apr 29 11:20:02 CEST 2010

On 28/04/2010 03:48, David Shieh wrote:
> [snip....]
>
>     setuptools is a complex, horrible old beast and I wouldn't like to
>     guess at its IronPython compatibility. Shame MySQLdb depends on it
>     for an install - but MySQLdb almost certainly depends on C
>     extensions anyway. In the long run distutils2 will replace
>     setuptools entirely (for CPython the distribute package has
>     *already* replaced it whilst remaining compatible). The distutils2
>     guys are *very* open to input - so 'someone' should run the tests
>     with IronPython and report any problems.
>
> Yes, you're right. MySQLdb does have some c files that need to be
> compiled. And I don't think Windows got a good compile environment for
> this. This bothers me to much. For CPython2.6, I have to find a binary
> package of MySQLdb, but for IronPython, I can't find any binary.

The Windows compile environment for Python C extensions is most easily
setup by having the correct version of Visual Studio installed.

Packages for Python based on C extensions normally *don't work at all in
IronPython* - this is why you won't find binaries for IronPython for C
extensions...

One way to use Python C extensions with IronPython is through Ironclad:

     http://www.resolversystems.com/products/ironclad/

All the best,

Michael Foord