[IronPython] Fwd: [DB-SIG] How can I reliably detect whether an SQL statement is a Query?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 17:47:26 CEST 2010

Hi Vernon,

> What are the consequences of using ExecuteReader() when there is
> nothing to read? If none, i.e. you get an empty set of results, then I
> would say to use that all the time, and don't bother to examine your
> SQL at all.

That's actually a really good question. Everything I can quickly find
says that you have to use ExecuteNonQuery for non-selects and
ExecuteReader for selects, but I've never tried it. I guess that would
be the best way to find out - try it and see what happens (and report
back, 'cause I'm curious!)

- Jeff