[IronPython] How to convert between C# and IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 04:36:15 CEST 2010

Hi Andrew,
Jimmy has already shown how to create a byte array, so I'll translate the rest:

         from System.Security.Cryptography import RNGCryptoServiceProvider
         from System import BitConverter, Random

         rndC = RNGCryptoServiceProvider()
         rndC.GetBytes(rndBytes)
         seed = BitConverter.ToInt32(rndBytes, 0);
         rand = Random(seed);

         return rand.Next(min, max);

In general, to convert C# to Python:

drop semicolons ( ; )
drop braces ( { } )
drop 'new'
drop types
drop namespaces

add 'def' to functions
change foreach to for
remove parens ( ( ) ) from if, for, while
add colons ( : ) after class, def, if, while

change 'using Foo' to 'from Foo import *' (bad style in Python, but it works)

and a few other, more complicated steps

Heck, writing a script to do it wouldn't be all that hard, and it
shows just how much noise is in C#.

- Jeff