[IronPython] Building IronPython from sources

Jimmy Schementi jimmy at schementi.com
Sun Aug 8 21:36:44 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>wrote:

>  On 28/07/2010 16:04, Dave Fugate wrote:
>
>  Hi Lukas, while IronPython 2.6.x itself won’t be able to take advantage
> of Silverlight 4 features as it’s built against Silverlight 3, I’d guess
> your Python scripts might be able to utilize these features.  The
> differences between Silverlight 3 and 4 are documented at
> http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/overview.aspx.
>
> I've used Silverlight 4 features from IronPython 2.6.
>
> Michael

Yes, Michael is right, you can use Silverlight 4 features (like RichTextBox)
from IronPython 2.6. The "catch" is that any features in IronPython 2.6 that
are specific to .NET 4.0 cannot be used in Silverlight 4; the major one is
the DLR integration with C#, so C# code hosting IronPython in Silverlight
can't use the "dynamic" keyword to make accessing variables defined in
IronPython code easier.

Upgrading to IronPython 2.7 Alpha 1  for Silverlight 4 development is
definitely preferred over staying on IronPython 2.6. If there are any bugs
in IronPython 2.7 Alpha 1 that block you from doing this, please report
them.

~Jimmy