[IronPython] SciPy

Pascal Normandin pascal at travobject.com
Mon Dec 20 22:53:27 CET 2010

Hello,

Just to add to Oleksii’s comment, I’m also in a similar situation where I’d like to make an application scriptable with any of my good Iron language friend.

I have been using IronPython and IronRuby for side projects for quite some time but not embedded in an application distributed to users.

I will probably be embedding both languages but at some point I will need choose one for my users as I will need to create some helpers.  I’m still hesitating between both languages so I’d like to know what others think about this.

* I prefer the expressiveness of Ruby but I think Python me be easier to learn (for a non programmer technical person)

* IronPython seems to perform much better than IronRuby but performance is not an issue in my case (compared to numerical computation)

* Since the Iron languages have been released to the community I’m afraid they will not be equally supported or even stop to evolve and support new .net features.  It seems to me that the IronPython community is bigger, so it might have a greater chance to survive or be able to continue evolve.

Thanks;

Pascal