[IronPython] Announcing IronPython 2.6.1 RC1

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Feb 10 23:30:39 CET 2010

Congratulations and thanks and make sure Jimmy updates IronPython.net
with the new announcement. :-)

Michael

On 10/02/2010 21:55, David DiCato wrote:

> Hello Python Community,
>
> We're pleased to announce the release of IronPython 2.6.1 RC1. This
> version of IronPython makes great strides in stability and
> compatibility, including a considerable number of targeted bugfixes.
> Because this is our largest servicing release to date, and due to our
> decision against incrementing the assembly version numbers, it is
> important that we get everything right. To this end, we present our
> first-ever RC for a minor dot release. Of course, your feedback is
> imperative to the quality of this release, so we'd love to hear from you!
>
> IronPython 2.6.1 comes in two flavors -- one that runs on top of .NET
> 4.0 RC, and one that runs on any other framework starting with .NET
> 2.0 SP1.  They can be downloaded here:
>
> - IronPython 2.6.1 RC1 for .NET 2.0 SP1:
> http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=40144
>
> - IronPython 2.6.1 RC1 for .NET 4.0 RC:
> http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=40146
>
> Note: The .NET Framework 4.0 RC is required for the latter release and
> can be downloaded at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a9ef9a95-58d2-4e51-a4b7-bea3cc6962cb&displaylang=en
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a9ef9a95-58d2-4e51-a4b7-bea3cc6962cb&displaylang=en>
>
> IronPython 2.6.1 RC1 includes fixes for well over 50 bugs, large and
> small. Ctypes has had a number of significant updates, including union
> support, variant_bool, and wintypes. Another focus has been on
> sys.settrace, making debugging more reliable. For example,
> sys.settrace now returns the correct frame, supports tracing through
> modules, and no longer interferes with "import os". Other notable
> fixes include thread-safe importing, and the missing error code in
> _winreg exception.
>
> In addition, we've made a substantial improvement in import time. Not
> only does this reduce startup time, but can speed up the importing of
> large, definition-heavy modules by up to 50%.
>
> As you might imagine, the .NET 4.0 flavor of IronPython 2.6.1 RC1 has
> a few of its own changes designed for better interoperability with the
> framework. These include fixing some errors with Func<> and better
> runtime isolation when similarly-named assemblies in different
> locations are loaded in multiple engines. In addition, both the .NET
> 2.0 and .NET 4.0 builds support the new .NET 4.0 IStructuralEquatable
> and IStructuralComparable interfaces and maps them to the  appropriate
> operations (__eq__, __hash__, __gt__, etc.). In the case of .NET 4.0,
> this replaces IValueEquality as the gold standard for defining
> equality in an interop-friendly manner. In the .NET 2.0 build, these
> interfaces are copied so that their use can be phased in while
> retaining IValueEquality for backwards compatibility.
>
> Special thanks to Albert Szilvasy, cendalc, clovery, egonw_, essey,
> [...]

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.