[IronPython] Django, __unicode__, and #20366

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 11 16:48:32 CET 2010

On 11/02/2010 15:44, Vernon Cole wrote:
> Just a little reminder in all this noise...
>
> The correct thing to do with unicode(u'a unicode string') is MAKE NO
> CHANGE.
> The correct thing to do with str('an ASCII string') is MAKE NO CHANGE.

I assume by ASCII string you actually mean bytestring? (hint: ascii is
not the opposite of unicode in this case...)

And how do you propose to tell the difference between a bytestring and a
unicode string in IronPython?

Michael

> The Zen of Python says:
> Explicit is better than implicit.
> Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
> In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
> If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
> If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
>
> IMHO, if a programmer expects str() or unicode() to make a change in
> the encoding of a string-like object, (s)he should be
> encouraged/forced to use .encode() or .decode() to get his(er)
> intended result.
>  --
> Vernon Cole

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.