[IronPython] IronPython 2.6.1 RC1, ctypes, and c_int.value

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 11 19:39:32 CET 2010

I've created http://ironpython.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=26185 but I already have a fix for this.

From: users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com [mailto:users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Dino Viehland
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:14 AM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: Re: [IronPython] IronPython 2.6.1 RC1, ctypes, and c_int.value

Actually this looks like a bug in IronPython.  ctypes.addressof(msvcrt.system) is returning the wrong value - in CPython it's returning the address which points to the function.  In IronPython it's returning the address of the function it's self.

Hopefully the real code is doing something more useful than this though because this seems to only be patching the ctypes pointer to the function, not any other pointers to the function.  So every call to system() will still go directly to the msvcrt impl.  I would assume this code really wanted to patch the exported address over in msvcrt.dll so all callers would be intercepted.   This doesn't even patch it if someone gets a 2nd copy of msvcrt via ctypes:

On my machine ctypes.addressof(msvcrt.system) is 12ff940 and msvcrt.system is "<_FuncPtr object at 0x012FF918>".  Then I do:

msvcrt2 = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary("msvcrt")
msvcrt2.system

I get a new _FuncPtr object:

>>> msvcrt2.system
<_FuncPtr object at 0x012FF990>
>>> hex(ctypes.addressof(msvcrt2.system))
'0x12ff9b8'

And now a different address would be patched.