[IronPython] Internals documentation

Tristan Zajonc tristanz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:54:53 CET 2010

Dino - Thanks, those links are helpful.

Can I ask how you plan to merge the IronPython and Python documentation?  In
terms of using IronPython as a DSL for a specific application, this is an
area I've been wondering about.  Pointing users to the official CPython docs
doesn't provide the nicest experience for users who aren't interested in the
difference between CPython and IronPython and just want to program within an
application (resolver one, say).  Perhaps it's unavoidable.

In terms of internals documentation.  Obviously a detailed discussion of
programming Python modules would be nice (your links help here).  Perhaps
including a discussion of how to write a library that gives a first class
experience in both IronPython and the CLR languages.  When should I write a
wrapper in Python vs. use attributes, etc, and stay in C# completely?   I'd
also be interested in examples of adding new language constructs to
IronPython. While perhaps not something you want to encourage, IronPython is
appealing as base language for DSLs and showing examples of adding new
language features would also show how IronPython works internally. Examples
include adding new infix operators (PEP 225 or 211, say) or showing how to
implement the with statement.

Tristan