[IronPython] Can't start executable created with pyc.py

Neidhoo Xaphier xaphiern at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:17:02 CET 2010

Hello,

I have a very simple python script I want to compile into an exe-File (with
IronPython 2.6). The script is named "GuiTest.py":

### BEGIN GuiTest.py ###
import clr
clr.AddReference("PresentationFramework")
clr.AddReference("PresentationCore")

import System.Windows
import System.Windows.Controls

window        = System.Windows.Window()
window.Title  = "GuiTest"
window.Height = 200
window.Width  = 450

stack          = System.Windows.Controls.StackPanel()
stack.Margin   = System.Windows.Thickness(15)
window.Content = stack

button = System.Windows.Controls.Button() button.Content = "Push Me!"

def onClick(sender, event):
    print "Button pushed!"

button.Click += onClick

stack.Children.Add(button)

app = System.Windows.Application()
app.Run(window)
### END GuiTest.py ###

By using "pyc.py" I created "GuiTest.exe" with the following command line:

ipy "C:\Programme\IronPython 2.6\Tools\Scripts\pyc.py" /main:GuiTest.py
/target:exe

Next I copied the following files into the same folder where GuiTest.exe is
stored:

IronPython.dll
IronPython.Modules.dll
Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionAttribute.dll
Microsoft.Dynamic.dll
Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll
Microsoft.Scripting.Debugging.dll
Microsoft.Scripting.dll

Unfortunatelly GuiTest.exe still doesn't work. If I try to execute it from
the command line I get the following error message:

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: System.InvalidOperationException: Beim aufrufenden
Thread muss es sich um einen STA-Thread handeln, da dies für viele
Komponenten der Benutzeroberfläche erforderlich ist.
   bei
Microsoft.Scripting.Actions.Calls.MethodCandidate.Caller.Call(Object[] args,
Boolean& shouldOptimize)
   bei
IronPython.Runtime.Types.BuiltinFunction.BuiltinFunctionCaller`6.Call5(Ca
llSite site, CodeContext context, TFuncType func, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2,
T3arg3, T4 arg4)
   bei
System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute7[T0,T1,T2,T3,T4,T5,T6,TRet](CallSite
site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2, T3 arg3, T4 arg4, T5 arg5, T6 arg6)
   bei IronPython.Runtime.Importer.Import(CodeContext context, String
fullName, PythonTuple from, Int32 level)
   bei IronPython.Runtime.Operations.PythonOps.InitializeModule(Assembly
precompiled, String main, String[] references)
   bei PythonMain.Main()

Do you have any ideas how I can resolve this issue?

Best regards,
Xaphier N.