[IronPython] IronJs optimizations. Can this be done in IronPython?

Luis M. Gonzalez luismgz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 22:51:14 CET 2010

Hi there,

I've been reading a fascinating blog post about IronJs, a new javascript
implementation based on the DLR, and I'm excited to read that two
optimization features of this implementation have resulted in speed ups
comparable to those of Chrome's V8 and Firefox's Tracemonkey.

This is the link:
http://ugh.cc/ironjs-preview-benchmarks-of-the-new-compiler/

These features are:

   - Static analysis of variables to determine as many types as possible at
   compile-time
   - Per-function type-specializing runtime compilation

The author warns that "this is a very very early and limited benchmark. This
just test a small part of the runtime.", however, this looks promising since
the language is being implemented on top of the DLR.
I wonder if these techniques can be implemented in Ironpython, or if
anything along these lines is already being implemented.
Is there any chance to speedup Ironpython to V8's levels?

Luis