[IronPython] Strange error using settrace - help needed

Dave Fugate dfugate at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 20 18:07:02 CET 2010

Thanks for reporting this Frank!  Looks like a legit bug to me, and I've filed it on CodePlex - see http://ironpython.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=25994.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com [mailto:users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of see_toronto at web.de
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:20 AM
To: users at lists.ironpython.com
Subject: [IronPython] Strange error using settrace - help needed

Hi,
probably I'm just not experienced enough with IP to see what's going wrong.
If I run a script using ipy.exe and add the standard Python Lib folder to sys.path,
I can use "import os".
If I do the same, but issue an sys.settrace prior to the import the executions failes
with an index out of range error.

Here's a sample code:
def trace(frame, event, arg):
   return trace

import sys
sys.path.append('C:\Python26\Lib') # Python 2.6.4

sys.settrace(trace)
print 'Out 1'
import os
print 'Out 2'

Actually I'm trying to embedd Python scripts into a C# project and to trace the execution.
The error showed up in that context first, but it can be reproduced with the above code and
ipy.exe as well.

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong here?
Many thanks for your help
Frank