[IronPython] Django, __unicode__, and #20366

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Jan 31 20:25:16 CET 2010

On 31/01/2010 01:21, Jeff Hardy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a question regarding __unicode__ and issue #20366[0]. Django
> explicitly encourages the use of __unicode__ on models[1], which would
> not be available on IronPython. Also, they have some lazy evaluation
> functions that depend on differences between str and unicode, and
> default to using __unicode__. Now, these differences could be worked
> around in Django, but I wonder if that's the right place for them.
There's *unlikely* to be an easy fix in IronPython any time soon,
although I would love to be proved wrong. The Django team have
*explicitly* said that they are open to patches (or even just bug
reports) to make Django compatible with IronPython.

> also have no idea how this will play out under 3.0.

Django is not expecting to move to Python 3 for quite some time as I
understand it.

> I'm working around by checking `str is unicode`; I'm not sure there's
> really a better option.

That sounds like a good solution to me.

> - Jeff
>

> [0] http://ironpython.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=20366

I still think the partial-fix I suggest in that issue would be much
better than the current situation...

All the best,

Michael