[IronPython] using XAML in IronPython

Andrew Evans evans.d.andrew at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 00:14:53 CEST 2010

Hello I am learning IronPython having come from a CPython background, I
started learning C# to add more to my knowledge base for IronPython.

I have a few questions using XAML:

First if I build something using the xaml designer in IronPython Studio and
give it a name x:name="somename" and want to reference it in a function def
doSomething(s, e): how do I reference the item with the x:name value do I
just type somename = changePropertyofControl? and how do I call the
function?

XAML

<Window
       xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
       xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
       Title="Hello World" Height="300" Width="300">
       <Button x:Name="hello">Click Me</Button>
</Window>

Python Code is where I am confused

import clr
clr.AddReference('PresentationFramework')

from System.Windows.Markup import XamlReader
from System.Windows import Application
from System.IO import FileStream, FileMode

app = Application()

def doSomething(sender,event):
    hello.Content = "Try again"

app.Run(XamlReader.Load(FileStream('Hello_World.xaml', FileMode.Open)))

This I am sure is really simple... Coming from a Tk background its confusing
for me.

Anyway ty

Cheers

Andrew