[IronPython] IronPython and Silverlight -- newbie question

Funke, Matt Matt.funke at vishaypg.com
Tue Jul 20 17:30:49 CEST 2010

I've really enjoyed IronPython In Action, and have found it immensely helpful in my quest to understand integrating Python with WPF.  (I'm something of a newbie.)

Unfortunately, I've hit a conceptual wall with Sliverlight.  In particular, creating the app.xap file for the source code in chapter13\13.1.3\ControlsExample1 seems to be hitting a roadblock.  Here's the command I gave to Chiron from within the chpter13 directory:

C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In Action\sourcecode\chapter13>bin/Chiron /d:13.1.3/ControlsExample1 /z:app.xap

Chiron gave me this feedback:

Generating XAP C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In Action\sourcecode\chapter13\app.xap from C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In Action\sourcecode\chapter13\13.1.3\ControlsExample1

I then moved app.xap from C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In Action\sourcecode\chapter13 to C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In Action\sourcecode\chapter13\13.1.3\ControlsExample1 and opened index.html.  That's what generated the error in the attached screenshot.

Can anyone help me?  How should I be generating app.xap, and where should it live?

I'm running IronPython 2.6.1 for .NET 4.0, as well as .NET 4.0 (naturally) and Silverlight 4.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-- Best Regards,
    Matt Funke