[IronPython] Using Epydoc with IronPython 2.6.1

Danny Fernandez fernandez.dan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:55:21 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I am a newbie in IronPython world which by the way rocks. I tried posting
yesterday so I am not sure what happened so sorry if there is a double post.

I am having trouble trying to use epydoc. I have IronPython 2.6.1 for .NET
2.0 on my 32-bit Windows XP box. I am not sure if I have set it up correctly
it is probably me not setting up things correctly.

I installed the epydoc source in c:\python\epydoc and set IRONPATHHOME is
set to C:\python\epydoc\. I am following an example of using epydoc from
their website and added the debug arg to get more information so I cd in
C:\python\epydoc\scripts and executed the following

ipy epydoc.py --html --debug sys -o sys_docs

Traceback (most recent call last):-] Building documentation: sys
  File "epydoc.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\cli.py", line 965, in cli
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\docbuilder.py", line 454, in
_get_docs_from_pyname
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\docparser.py", line 209, in parse_docs
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\docintrospecter.py", line 131, in
introspect_docs
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\docintrospecter.py", line 275, in
introspect_module
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\docintrospecter.py", line 131, in
introspect_docs
  File "C:\python\epydoc\epydoc\docintrospecter.py", line 392, in
introspect_class
TypeError: instancemethod.__cmp__(x,y) requires y to be a 'instancemethod',
not a NoneType

I tried find information on using IronPython with epydoc but with no luck. I
got pydoc to work but it pulled documentation for the clr module which I use
of course which took most of the documentation for my module. I thought I
can try epydoc with the parse only feature. I appeciate any feedback.

Thanks

Danny