[IronPython] Implementing Greenlets API in IronPython

Tristan Zajonc tristanz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 13:45:07 CEST 2010

I have been trying to hire somebody to implement the greenlet extension
module, which would enable modules like eventlet and gevent to work on
IronPython.  The person I currently have looking into it, however, isn't
hopeful. A condensed version of his perspective is below.  Perhaps the
IronPython list (Dino?) has an idea for a solution?

== Response to Greenlets on IronPython ==

I looked at various solutions but none of them seem to arrive at the correct
solution. I did try generating the DLR using AST again to make the function
stackless but the limitation is with python and .NET.

Let me explain the issue.

1) .NET lanugages (C#. VB.NET etc.) are strongly typed. In other words, if I
get a variable I know what its type is at compile time. IronPython actually
compiles the functions into CLR and runs them on the fly. A function is
compiled once and can be executed again and again. One must know that the
function needs to be stackless at compile time and a function cannot be made
stackless at run time.

2) Python is a typeless language. A variable can assume any type at any
point in execution at run-time. Now consider the following code in Python
using the greenlet API:

a = greenlet(foo)

def abc():
    print "X"
    a.switch()
    print "Y"

Although variable a is defined, it does not have a strong type and during
execution, a can be assigned a different object which can also implement the
switch function and the code will execute fine.

As mentioned above, IronPython needs to know at compile time that the
function has to be made stackless. In python since a is not typed, a can be
greenlet in one execution of abc and any other object in the second call.
Also, there is no way to determine at compile that the function abc needs to
be made stackless since it needs to switch since the type of a is unknown
till it is actually called at runtime.

Hence is it next to impossible to implement the switch because of the above
implementation.

CPython dos not compile the functions and does not use the yield keyword
(which is not avilable in C/C++ anyways) to do it. It does this by
using context switching which is built into python and so the API is
fairly straightforward in CPython. CPython basically has the stack of all
previous functions calls and saves the stack so that it can resume later
from that point. It needs to store the context and uses the inherent context
switching built into Python to do it.

== End Response ==

Ideas?

Tristan