[IronPython] Silverlight: UnicodeEncodeError not defined and other encoding issues

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 8 13:31:49 CET 2010

Hey all,

Using Silverlight 2.6.1 RC:

NameError: global name UnicodeEncodeError is not defined

Oops (and a problem for us).

Also: 'some string'.encode('latin-1') results in:

     LookupError: unknown encoding: latin-1

If I then add the codecs and encodings standard library modules to our
application I get the following exception:

     AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'latin_1_encode'

The error is in line 17 of the encodings/latin_1.py module:

     encode = codecs.latin_1_encode

This unfortunately kills a fair bit of Python code and means I'm going
to have to rewrite a chunk of the library we're using. :-(

Thanks

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf
of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising
from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.