[IronPython] Failed to install IronPython 2.6.1 rc1 for .NET 4.0 RC1

Dave Fugate dfugate at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 8 18:09:07 CET 2010

You're running Windows XP, right?

Thanks,

Dave

From: users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com [mailto:users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Zhichao Hong
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 6:53 AM
To: users at lists.ironpython.com
Subject: [IronPython] Failed to install IronPython 2.6.1 rc1 for .NET 4.0 RC1

I have downloaded the 2.6.1 rc1 for .NET 4.0 RC1.  The .NET 4.0 RC is installed by the vs2010 RC installation.  The ironpython msi failed to install.  I have searched the mailing list for related issues.  It looks like I have to run mscorsvw.exe -i to install the .NET runtime optimization service.  I then tried manually install it and the mscorsvw.exe fails completely.  I cannot find it in either the device manager or services list.

I then generate a full install log for ironpython to dig in the details.  And it complains that ngen fails:
ExecNetFx:  Error 0x80070002: failed to execute Ngen command: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\IronPython 2.6 for .NET 4.0 RC\Microsoft.Scripting.dll" /queue:1
Action 8:31:54: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Rollback: Publishing product information
Rollback: Publishing Product Features

I am puzzled now why it tries to use ngen from v2.0 instead of v4.0.  Since this is a clean install of .NET 4.0.  The ngen.exe does not even exists in the v2.0.50727 directory.

Any help?

-Zhichao

Zhichao Hong, CSDP
zhichao.hong at computer.org<mailto:zhichao.hong at computer.org>