[IronPython] Debian bug #516396

C.J. Adams-Collier cjac at colliertech.org
Wed Mar 17 18:17:52 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 02:57 +0000, Dino Viehland wrote:
> Does ^D not work at all?  Does it work w/ the -X:TabCompletion option?

Thanks, this mostly did it.  The expected behavior would be for the REPL
to quit immediately after ^D is pressed and not to wait for the enter,
but this is probably good enough for now ;)

> In -X:TabCompletion mode we have code specifically to check if we're on
> Unix and if so we recognize Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-Z.  This code is in
> SuperConsole.cs if you want to step through in case that's not working.
> I hope it is though because we closed a bug on this on our side after we
> put this code in! :)

I'll look through that code and see if I can remove the requirement for
the enter.  I can make a debian-specific patch if you'd prefer to keep
the current behavior.

> Otherwise w/o that option we're just calling Console.In.ReadLine().  On
> Windows this returns NULL when you type Ctrl-Z because it's the EOF.  I
> would say if this should return null when you type Ctrl-D on Linux then
> Mono should support this behavior (unless there's some reason why this
> doesn't make sense and then we should discuss).  If you wanted to try
> and step through this it's in BasicConsole.cs.

I don't think I'll end up needing to do this, but I'll keep it in mind
if all else fails :)

Cheers,

C.J.