[IronPython] IronPy Tools for VS - Projects

Steve Dower s.j.dower at gmail.com
Sun May 2 06:45:49 CEST 2010

So, love having IronPy Tools (download from www.ironpython.net/tools/
for those who missed it) and very keen to help make it the best Python
IDE out there (and frankly, it's almost there already IMHO).

My first issue is with the project setup. While I really like it
automatically pulling in all my .py files/folders (since that is how
Python is going to handle it) I'm not so keen on every other file
coming in. I regularly run in CPython, which puts .pyc files
everywhere and all of these appear in the Solution Explorer. I'm
working out of a Subversion repository, and all my .svn folders also
appear.

It's a matter of clutter rather than a show-stopper, but from my
experiences with MPFProj 9.0 it is just as easy to let code files be
tracked by the project rather than the file system. I note that
packages are given a different icon, so if the 'Show All Files' button
is soon to be enabled (to hide everything that isn't a package) that
is completely sufficient.

Second, I have a suggestion for dealing with __init__.py files. I have
not heard any definitive statement on whether to include code in
__init__.py files or not, but I am aware that it is done and my
current project has primary base classes for each package in the
__init__.py files, resulting in having multiple such files open.

My own 'Python tools' (for VS2008, never made it beyond private use)
automatically adds the package name to the caption of __init__.py
files (as shown in
http://zooba.byteclub.net/files/2010/05/ipytool-initname.png) through
a couple of overrides on the FileNode object. I am happy to provide
this code if desired/appropriate.

There also appears to be some interesting things going on with the
outlining region tagger, but I'm sure these have been noted already.

Great work, guys.

Cheers,

Steve