[IronPython] Can't install IronPython Tools for Visual Studio

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Sun May 2 20:36:18 CEST 2010

Lukáš Duběda wrote:
> Ok, I'm a little lost here.
>
> I previously installed the C# Visual Studio Express
> version. Then I installed the Visual Studio Isolated
> Shell and since I have no previous experience with VS,
> how do I make the IPy tools extension to install via
> the Isolated Shell? And also, how the hell do I run the
> isolated shell if I installed VS previously?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help!

I'm not sure the isolated shell is the best recommendation.
The purpose of the isolated shell is to run w/ it's own set
of packages which are isolated from the rest of your normal
VS installation.  The integrated shell on the other hand runs
with all available VS packages.  Our walkthrough file recommends
the integrated shell and that download is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e5aa7b6-8436-43f0-b778-00c3bca733d3&displaylang=en

But either way when you click to install the VSIX it generally
tells you what VS it's going to get installed to.  You can also
figure out where it got installed to after the fact by looking
in look in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio. There you'll see
a set of directories which correspond to VS installations (e.g.
10.0 for the shared location and maybe there'll be one for the
isolated shell there as well).  Below there will be an
Extensions\Microsoft\IronPython Tools for Visual Studio
directory.