[IronPython] App stops responding, form won't refresh

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed May 26 23:44:19 CEST 2010

On 26/05/2010 22:40, robinsiebler wrote:
> This is my 1st IronPython/.NET app. It is really simple, all it does is zip
> all the files in a folder into an archive, 1 file per zip.
>
> The problem is that when it is zipping large files 200MB+ the app stops
> responding. It is still zipping files, but the UI doesn't update. I don't
> know how to fix this.

If you create a form and perform any activity on the same thread that
created the form then you will block until that activity is completed.
Instead you can create a background thread and post updates to the ui
from that thread by "invoking".

If you are using Windows Forms then you might find this example of
invoking onto the gui thread useful:

http://www.ironpython.info/index.php/Invoking_onto_the_GUI_%28Control%29_Thread

There is also an example of basic threading here:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/threading.shtml

All the best,

Michael Foord

--