[IronPython] bytes and str in 2.7 io module

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 9 04:16:48 CET 2010

Vernon wrote:
Jeff:
  Make sure to check the Python 3 bindings as well. We don't want to loose ground going in that direction, since IPy already has Python 3's best feature -- all strings are Unicode. Maybe the equivalent of "if sys.version[0] >= '3':" should be buried in the helper so that that wheel will not need to be re-invented in the future.  Just a thought.

We do this elsewhere but it requires flowing a CodeContext in everywhere if it's not already flowed in or held onto by the object.  If we centralize this is one function though we can just remove the extra allowed conversion when going to 3k.