[IronPython] The Future of IronPython

Jonathan Allen grauenwolf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:22:09 CEST 2010

Thank you for the explanation.

Jonathan Allen
619-933-8527

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Hardy
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:13 PM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: Re: [IronPython] The Future of IronPython

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Jonathan Allen <grauenwolf at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Are there any important features missing from the DLR?

There are two parts to the DLR: the "inner ring" and the "outer ring".
The inner ring is the expression tree extensions, call sites, and some other
infrastructure stuff - this is what shipped with .NET 4 was previously in
Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll. The outer ring in the hosting APIs -
ScriptEngines, Scopes, etc. It is in the hands of the community now and we
can do with it as we please.

As far as I know, the inner ring/.NET 4 parts are pretty solid - there may
be a few changes, but they're likely pretty minor, and hopefully MS is
willing to work with us (and projects like IronJS, Coljure-CLR, &
IronScheme) if changes are needed.

The outer ring is also pretty solid as well, as far as I know, but it's not
a concern since it can be changed at will (except that multiple projects
depend on it, so some caution would still be needed). We might have to start
calling that part DLR+ or something to avoid confusion.

- Jeff