[IronPython] Announcing IronPython 2.7 Beta 1

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 22 18:49:13 CEST 2010

Adal wrote:

> 1. Changing the default installation folder doesn't work: IronPython will be
> installed in two places: "C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7" and the
> installation folder that you specified.
>
> 2. If you have already have CPython installed, IronPython will overwrite the
> icon for .py files, but not for .pyc and .pyw files.
> Please don't replace the CPython icons or at least make this an installer
> option.

Oh, wow, do I get to be the first person to say patches are welcome? :)

There were a bunch of changes to the MSI builder to get shared merged
modules between Python and Ruby, to support merge modules so apps
could use them for IronPython re-disting, and for getting the MSI build
infrastructure pushed out publicly instead of just being internal only
stuff.

These are probably pretty easy to track down as the MSI is nice and
isolated at $/IronPython/IronPython_Main/Msi/Python.  For the first
one it's probably just looking at how the different files are setup.

For the 2nd we already detect if someone else has registered the Python
file type and don't replace the default (double click) action.   So the icon registration
probably just needs to move from the Comp_PyFileRegistration to Comp_PyFileExistance
component if this is the desired behavior.

Anyway I'd suggest opening an issue on the issue tracker for these.